What is the difference between the 4 week and the 8 week programs?

Aside from the obvious difference in length, you will earn 6 credits for the four week program and 9 credits for the eight week program. Additionally the eight week program is divided into two sessions with a week off in the middle for students to travel.

Students on the eight week program will arrive in the beginning of June and take a three week course given to only MSU students on French civilization (FRN 491). They then have that aforementioned week for personal travel.

In the beginning of July, the 4 Week students arrive and then all MSU students are placed into language classes based on the results of a placement test (taken sometime in April here in Wells Hall). These classes will be mixed in nature with students from other universities at the Institut.

What are the dates of the program?

Eight-week session: June 1 – July 27, 2024

Four-week session: June 29 – July 27, 2024

The application deadline is February 15, 2024. You can apply using one of the following links:

What is the cost of the program?

There are three different costs involved with these programs:

  1. Program Fees
  2. MSU Tuition
  3. Flights, Passport fees, and Spending Money

1. Program Fees include the cost of the classes at the Institut de Touraine, housing with a host family, excursions, transportation to/from the airport in Paris, and a few other incidentals. These fees are approximately:

  • $3,700 for the 8 Week program
  • $2,500 for the 4 Week program

Please note that we do not yet have the final budget (as of Oct. 24) and so these numbers are approximate and based on previous years’ trips. We will update this when we get that information.

2. MSU Tuition. Students will pay for either 9 credits (8 Week program) or 6 credits (4 Week program) at their usual rate. This number will vary based on residency status, year in school, college, etc. Please check with the Registrar and/or Financial Aid for exact cost per credit for your particular situation.

On average, the cost for in-state undergraduate students is roughly $500 per credit, so 9 credits would be about $4,500 and 6 credits would be about $3,000.

3. Flights, Passport fees, and Spending money. As of today, direct flights on Delta from DTW to CDG (Charles de Gaulle in Paris) are running around $1,800 R/T. You are not required to fly on any particular airline and students may arrive in Tours however they choose to— as long as they arrive by the required date and time. More information will be available later on about traveling to/from France.

Are there scholarships available?

Yes! If you are a student in the College of Arts and Letters (CAL), please click here for scholarship information.

More information about financing study abroad can be found on the MSU Office for Education Abroad’s website.

Where will we take our courses?

All coursework will be taken at the Institut de Touraine, a private language school in the heart of Tours.

Which classes will I take at the Institut ?

It’s important to understand that students on the program will earn MSU credits toward either (a) completing the language requirement or (b) toward the major or minor. You will NOT be taking the same MSU classes that are offered on campus in East Lansing. Instead, the credits you earn by taking the Institut‘s classes will be distributed over courses that you need.

As an example, let’s say that a student minoring in French needs to take FRN 310 and FRN 320 (because these are the next courses in the sequence after FRN 202). Although the material covered at the Institut will not be the same as FRN 310 and 320, the student will still get credit for those courses AS IF they had taken them here in East Lansing. Therefore, in the upcoming Fall semester, that student can begin with FRN 330 or FRN 340.

How will I know which classes to enroll in?

Great question. Sometime in the Spring semester, you will sit down with the program director who will look at which classes you have already taken and enroll you in the appropriate ones for the summer. Information about how to meet with the program director will be distributed sometime in the spring.

Where will we live while in Tours?

All students will be placed with host families in and around Tours. Students will fill out a survey prior to placement to ensure that any special requirements will be met (e.g. dietary restrictions, allergies, non-smoking, pets, etc.)

Do I need a passport and a visa?

Yes. Regardless of country of citizenship, you will need a valid passport to travel to France. Generally, for holders of US passports, you will not need to pre-apply for a visa to enter France. For stays of less than 90 days (which our trip falls under), US passport holders are issued a visa (stamp) upon arrival. If you are a holder of a non-US passport, you may need a visa. You can use the “visa wizard” on the French embassy’s website to determine if you will need one or not.

You can visit the MSU Office for Education Abroad’s website for general information about passports and visas. Likewise, you can also visit the US State Department’s page on international travel.

Please be aware that if during your stay you travel outside of France, you may need a visa for those countries as well. Also recall that the visa requirements for US citizens may differ for citizens from other countries, so if you are in international student here at MSU, you will want to make sure that you have the proper visa (if required) for any other countries you may travel to.

Please note that your passport must still be valid for six months after your departure date from France.

What is a visa, anyway?

A visa is official permission granted by the authorities of a country where you will study or travel that allows you to enter and remain in that country for a specific purpose. The visa itself is frequently a stamp in your passport, not a separate document. You will need a passport before applying for a visa and the passport plus visa process may take several months, so start early. It is your responsibility to inquire about visa requirements for all countries you plan to visit while abroad; this includes countries that you plan to visit before or after your education abroad program.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, consult the embassy or consulate of the countries you will visit to learn their document requirements. If you are an MSU international student, also visit the Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS) to obtain a signature on visa documents to permit re-entry to the United States. See visas for more information.

NOTE: If you will be staying in Europe for longer than 90 days, you will need to contact the consulate(s) of your host country(ies) for advice on visas.

When should I apply for a passport/visa (if required)?

If you must apply for, or renew, a passport, APPLY EARLY, since a minimum of six to eight weeks is usually required for processing. During peak travel seasons, more processing time is required. For US travelers, passport forms are available at many federal and state courts, probate courts, some county/municipal offices and some post offices. They can also be downloaded from the Web.

The MSU Main Library and East Lansing Post Office (on Abbot Rd. just south of Saginaw St.) are both passport acceptance facilities. Information can be found online for MSU and East Lansing. Your local post office or library may offer the same services.

If I apply and then pull out of the program what are the penalties ?

You will be liable for the $300 ($100 application and $200 commitment deposit) if you withdraw anytime between when you commit and 61 days prior to the start of the program.  At 60 days prior, you will be liable for 25% of the program costs, and the amount goes up to 50% of the program fee at 45-30 days prior, to 75% of the program fee at 30-15 days prior, and 100 % of the fee if they withdraw in the two weeks prior to the start of the program. 

Quick Links

Office for Education Abroad

Office of International Health and Safety

Scholarship information (for students with a major in the College of Arts and Letters)

Information on Passports and Visas

Embassy of France’s Visa Wizard (in English)